Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Uncle Bill


He was always smiling, happy and the life of the party. That was on the outside.

Inside, I guess there were some demons to which he finally succumbed.

He did a good job of hiding them - probably except to those to whom he was closest. I hadn't seen him that much over the years. He and Donna came to my wedding, which I thought was pretty awesome. I never expected it.

My Mom and I visited them once in South Carolina and we had a great time on the boat. Donna, Bill and I played golf - one of my first outings since I took up the game. Pace of play and etiquette was important to Bill, and I remember to this day that you always carry your putter with you when you're close to the green so you don't have to run back and get it after a chip shot. I know, it's a simple thing and common knowledge to most golfers - including me now. But at the time, it wasn't. He always joked about how much he taught people about this and that. Well, he did teach me that.

I saw him at a couple of Williamson High School reunions. I remember him sitting around a table with family, friends and old classmates at the hotel restaurant, telling stories, reminiscing and singing.

Then there was our recent reunion - still singing, still telling stories and still the life of the party. On the outside.

And although that's the part of him that I'm going to remember most - just because I don't want to be sad - I'm also going to try to take a lesson from this.

They say that beauty is skin deep, and it's what's inside that matters most. That might be a cliche, but I think cliches are cliches for a reason because most of the time, they're true.

Inside does matter most.


2 comments:

  1. Eric, thank you for the loving tribute to Uncle Bill. It helped me so much. You are a great son. I love you very much. I will miss Bill and hope we will be together with Mother, Dad, Penny and Ted one day. In the meantime I will try to remember the good times in case tomorrow never comes. I hope I will have no regrets. Love to all especially Donna, the boys and Cindy. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric, Thank you for the loving tribute to uncle Bill. It helped me so much. I will miss him but I am sure we will all be together one day. In the mean time I will remember the good times and Bill's singing. Think about all the fun times we had together, and future fun times we will have. Don't forget to say I love you to your loved ones. I send a special I love you to Donna, Jeff, Will and Cindy.

    ReplyDelete

Followers